Monday, June 24, 2013

Honeycomb

I've started a new cardie! A toasty warm one, in thick fuzzy wool. The pattern is Iðunn by Ragga Eiríksdóttir, and for once I'm actually using the yarn specified in a pattern: Ístex Létt-Lopi. It's a little prickly, but I generally don't mind that unless it touches my forehead - only super soft hats for me! Icelandic wool is supposed to be very warm and not prone to pilling, so I'm giving it a try.

Knitting with thicker yarn like this is so much speedier, especially compared to my last cardie in 4ply. I've already finished the whole 'yoke', put the sleeve stitches on hold, and have made decent progress on the 'body'. In one week.


I was partly drawn to this design by the honeycomb pattern around the yoke. I'm not quite sure whether it's embarrassing or awesome that I have two other honeycomb-patterned jerseys in my to-make list: Stasis Pullover and Honeymaker. I think Honeymaker would be great in a warmish pale grey, if I can find suitable yarn... maybe Little Wool Co 12ply would work?

Stasis Pullover by Leila Raabe

Honeymaker by Leah B. Thibault

The draw of the honeycomb doesn't stop there either - I have my eye on these:

Apis Dorsata Mitts by Anna Sudo

Raxtur by Stephen West

As for bee-inspired projects I've already succumbed to, the big one is of course the beekeeper's quilt. I've completed 150 of the hexapuffs in total, but they have yet to be joined together. When I visit Whakatane soon I'll get them out of storage and see what I want to do with them. I think a wall hanging of some sort would be neat.

A batch of my hexapuffs, in rainbow shades (video courtesy of Dad):

No comments:

Post a Comment