Saturday, July 20, 2013

A little flying music

This time tomorrow I'll be on the plane!

I'm not scared of flying, luckily, but I don't like airports one bit. I just keep thinking of all the different things that could go wrong to make me miss my connecting flight, lose my luggage, etc etc. Hopefully as I get more practice with international travel I'll be less stressed about it.

I'm packing a range of amusements in my carry-on bag to keep me occupied, as it'll be a whole day of travel. So far I've rounded up a book (Bird Sense: What It's Like to Be a Bird), my kindle, some knitting, and my mp3 player.

A few days ago I loaded some new music onto my mp3 player that will make nice comforting/familiar/distracting travel music. I went for Beethoven piano sonatas, which I used to really enjoy playing back when I was still in practice. I'm looking forward to dusting off my old tomes of sonatas in Whakatane.

This is my 'official favourite' bit of Beethoven: the finale of Sonata No. 32. It's a long series of variations on the initial simple theme, and there are some lovely surprises along the way - starlike trills and other beautiful moments, but also a section around the 7min mark that sounds suspiciously like jazz, a hundred years early! Enjoy...

No comments:

Post a Comment