Friday, June 2, 2017

New pattern: Budburst

Who's ready for more lace? I've just released a new asymmetrical shawl, named Budburst for its leafy lace pattern and the magical way it blooms during blocking. I think it's the prettiest thing I've made in a long time. :)


Budburst's stitch pattern blocks out into light and delicate leaves, but during knitting it forms a really cool bobbly texture. The transformation from bobbles to leaves reminded me of leaf buds unfurling in spring.

The gently-speckled yarn is a fingering-weight Merino Single in 'Dawn', by the Swiss dyer Sidispinnt. I adore using single-spun yarn for shawls, as it holds its blocking really well. I find plied yarn can bounce back again over time, especially if it has a tight twist like some sock yarns. I'm seeking out singles and silk-blend yarns for my shawls more and more these days, to make sure I get a really nice drape.



Dad and I took these photos above the Ōhope hill during my April trip to New Zealand - we found the perfect grassy paddock with flowering mānuka bushes and a view of the beach down below. The one downside was the thistles, which kept managing to spike me through my jeans!



Features:
  • an all-over lace pattern of delicate leaves
  • intuitive stitch pattern, with 'rest' rows on the wrong side
  • an optional picot bind-off (see my tutorial here)
  • knit sideways from point to bind-off edge
  • easy to scale up or down by altering the number of repeats
  • requires two skeins of fingering-weight yarn
  • suitable for speckled, semi-solid, or gradient-dyed yarn
  • pattern includes full written instructions as well as charts.


You can see all the details and download the Budburst pattern on Ravelry.

- - - - - - -

This design is part of the Progress, Hope, and Happiness collection, a celebration of summer from ten designers and five indie dyers. I hope you’ll join us for the make-along, which runs from June 1st to July 16th!

No comments:

Post a Comment